Monday, October 09, 2006

2006 British Car Roundup

On Sunday, October 8, I drove up from Bakersfield to Clovis in my 4 speed MGB GT Coupe to attend the fourth annual British Car Roundup.

Polasky and the surrounding streets were blocked off for several blocks for the car show, and the streets were packed with some beautiful British steel. Our friends in the Valley British Auto Club time this event perfectly to coincide with the annual antiques flea market so that the two events merge perfectly together.

Here's a little slide show featuring some highlights of the pictures I took. Click on a particular picture to enlarge.



What I like particularly about this car show is that most, if not all, of the cars are drivers. These cars hit the highways and byways, and once the day was done and the awards were given, these beautiful cars simply drove off as they were meant to do.

One of the highlights was meeting Joe Baba, the British import expert that rebuilt my engine a few years before I owned my car. I knew him by word of mouth and by the little plaque that adorns my engine. I've got a picture of him in the slide show--he's the gent with the cap that says "The Man, the Myth, the Legend." Fitting for a guy that at one time or another has touched more than a few of the MG's parked at the event.

I'm looking forward to the 2007 event and only hope more of the Bakersfield club gets to attend.

We welcome your comments! Simply click "Comments" below and leave a message.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed meeting Gary, his wife and primose 'BGT at the Clovis roundup...Im 27 and bet Gary is Close to that and its nice to know that there are other younger enthusiaists.